January 14, 2009

A day in my life

At 7 o'clock this morning when we came downstairs, it felt like it was going to be hot. Really hot. We had a quick breakfast and headed off for an early walk to the shops in attempt to beat the heat. Within 10 minutes we knew that it was not to be the case. It was stifling at 9 and the air felt very thick. After walking all the way to our local shops, we decided that the few things that we needed to buy for dinner with friends that night, could wait as were not going to cart them all the way back up the hill home. We got some shoes for the kids ready for child care tomorrow and headed back.

We reminisced about the heat in Greece when we spent a lovely summer there and the dips we took in the rock pools to cool off; the frappes and the card games and how the only decision we had to make was whether to eat dolades or yerros for dinner. Life felt really simple then. Now we think out dinner along the lines of the path of least resistance. Oh, how the times have changed!

Had a quick shower and headed to a friend's for lunch to catch up the girls. We hadn't caught up since before christmas so there was lots to share over our quiche and salad. The rooster and I got back home and had a game of snakes and ladders ( his current favourite) before Missy woke and the power struggle for the toys would begin in earnst again.

Icecream cones on the deck, feet paddling in the pool. Close my eyes and imagine I was in in Greece. Crash back to reality with the shrek of little ones in the pool.

Finally got provisions for dinner with two, now very irritable children. Left the shops in disgrace with a trantruming 3 and a half year old. Oh the joys. Managed to get them off to bed by quarter to seven. Some early guests. They don't have kids (yet!).

Dinner going well. Around 9 can just hear Missy screaming over music and chatter of dinner guests. Arghhh!! The upstairs is very hot, it is no wonder she has waken from her slumber. I hope we didin't scare two of our guests with the reality of parenthood. Tools and I were up and down the stairs for a good half hour before we gave up and brought her down. She obviously didn't want to miss the party going on downstairs and sat up eating an icecream cone, our retro dessert, with a very cheeky grin on her face.

Was it any wonder we didn't get her to sleep till 12.30. But now, that's the next day and I will save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment