April 30, 2009

Tomato Relish


I have had way to many tomatoes left over from our fruit and vege co-op. 2 kilos just begging to be used in something more interesting than a cheese and tomoto sandwich. Here is my solution.

1 kilo of tomatoes
1 apple peeled, cored and chopped
375ml white vinegar
250 grams of sugar
2 onions
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of salt
Half a dessert spoon of mustard powder
Half a dessert spoon of curry powder


Put all ingredients into a big pot.
Mix half tablespoon cornflour and a quarter of cup of vinegar into a paste and add to the pot.
Bring to the boil. Simmer on low for about 1 and a half hours.

Stir to stop mixture from sticking.

3 comments:

  1. yum, i love relish! this way you can enjoy it for ages too instead of eating so many tomatoe and cheese sandwiches that you cant stand the sight of them lol:) the recipe sounds realy easy, if i ever have spare tomatoes ill be sure to try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted a good tomoto relish recipe. I keep nagging my friend to give me hers, but she is rather forgetful. So thanks for that! And thanks for the theme for I spy. I've signed up!

    ReplyDelete